Read More
Night Recap - May 21, 2026
5 hours ago
ImmD crackdown targets moonlighting domestic helpers arresting 17
19-05-2026 17:52 HKT
Children seven years old and below must sit in child-safety seats or use other restraining devices when traveling in private cars from November 1, the Transport Department said.
Currently, children under the age of three must be secured in an approved child-restraint device when traveling in the front seats of private cars, light buses, or goods vehicles as stated on the department's website. Those seated in the rear should also use a restraining device if available.
Also, passengers aged eight and above or those with a body height of at least 1.35 meters must either use a restraining device or wear an adult seat belt.
The department noted that, besides conventional child-safety seats, motorists may also choose other types of devices, such as seat-belt adjusters, wearable safety-restraint vests or foldable boosters available on the market.Those who violate the requirement may face a fixed penalty notice of HK$230, with serious cases potentially leading to court action and fines of up to HK$2,000.
However, exemptions may apply for drivers who reasonably believe that a child passenger seven years old or younger who is at least 1.35 meters tall does not require a restraining device, as well as for those carrying a child passenger in an emergency."The new requirement aims to enhance protection for children and passenger safety. Child restraining devices provide effective protection for child passengers in traffic accidents and can substantially reduce the risks of being killed or seriously injured," a department spokesman said.
He urged parents and guardians to select appropriate devices that match their children's age and body size.The department will collaborate with police and the Road Safety Council to increase public awareness and education on road safety for private car drivers. According to the department, no child under the age of eight died in traffic accidents between 2022 and last year, although three sustained serious injuries during this period.
The department noted that there is still an opportunity to further tighten requirements for child-safety devices in private cars to enhance their safety.Lawmaker Gary Zhang Xinyu said the government implemented this mandate to align with standards in other countries and regions.
"When I traveled overseas with my children, I always prepared the child-safety seat myself for road trips or Uber rides to comply with local regulations," said Zhang, a father of three. He believes that such requirements are essential for child safety and that parents will understand their importance.wallis.wang@singtaonewscorp.com

