Read More
Night Recap - May 21, 2026
5 hours ago
ImmD crackdown targets moonlighting domestic helpers arresting 17
19-05-2026 17:52 HKT




Chief Executive John Lee Ka-chiu said on Tuesday that about 90 percent of affected owners at Tai Po’s Wang Fuk Court have responded to a government questionnaire on their preferences for long-term accommodation, as authorities step up efforts to formulate rehousing arrangements for residents displaced by the recent fire.
Speaking ahead of his weekly Executive Council meeting, Lee said the government attaches great importance to the long-term housing needs of those affected and has instructed the Task Force on Emergency Accommodation Arrangements to study and implement solutions as soon as possible to provide residents with peace of mind.
Asked whether the government would announce a long-term resettlement plan before the Lunar New Year, Lee did not give a direct timetable, but stressed the need to act quickly. He said the earlier affected families are able to make decisions, the better.
Lee said the government, through the “one social worker per household” approach, issued questionnaires to affected owners earlier this month to gauge their preliminary views on possible arrangements.
About 90 percent have so far responded, and the task force is now working intensively to consolidate and analyze the data, including residents’ preferences across different options, he said.
He noted that resettlement arrangements involve complex considerations, as each household has different views, requirements, and needs, while society at large also holds diverse opinions.
Lee said the government must carefully consider and strike a balance among various factors, including the proper use of public resources, public expenditure, the allocation of housing resources, clarification of legal and ownership responsibilities, and the provision of appropriate transitional arrangements.
On whether rebuilding the estate on its original site is unrealistic, Lee said the government remains open to all possible resettlement options.
He added that authorities hope to provide residents with as much information as possible so they can choose the option that best suits their own circumstances.
Download The Standard app to stay informed with news, updates, and significant events: