Read More
Night Recap - May 21, 2026
6 hours ago
ImmD crackdown targets moonlighting domestic helpers arresting 17
19-05-2026 17:52 HKT




Hong Kong will work toward the goal of extending the promenade on both sides of Victoria Harbour to 34 kilometers by 2028, following the completion of the East Coast Boardwalk last year, said Harbourfront Commission Chairman Ivan Ho Man-yiu.
In an interview with the government, Ho noted that the Commission will continue to develop and enhance harbourfront areas along both sides of Victoria Harbour, with a particular focus on the Kowloon side.
Ho outlined several harbourfront venues in Kowloon currently under development, including a promenade in front of the Kai Tak New Acute Hospital and a character-filled event space at the Former Hung Hom Railway Freight Yard Pier.

“The pedestrian walkway next to the public cargo working area in Yau Ma Tei is also expected to be completed this year, linking the West Kowloon Cultural District and the Tai Kok Tsui area,” he said.
Since the opening of the Eastern Section of the East Coast Boardwalk last December, a 13km walkway now stretches from Kennedy Town to Shau Kei Wan on Hong Kong Island.
According to Civil Engineering & Development Department Senior Engineer Terence Yeung Sze-cheung, the construction of the Boardwalk involved multiple challenges, including restricted headroom under the Island Eastern Corridor, narrow waterways, and a lack of land access for transportation.

Yeung explained that the project team utilized the existing foundations of the Island Eastern Corridor to reduce the number of marine piles required.
“On the other hand, we transported the prefabricated deck segments to the site by barge, and flexibly used different methods to install the deck segments one by one accurately,” he added. “The average weight of the deck segments is about 350 tons.”
Download The Standard app to stay informed with news, updates, and significant events: