Read More
Night Recap - May 21, 2026
5 hours ago
ImmD crackdown targets moonlighting domestic helpers arresting 17
19-05-2026 17:52 HKT
Social distancing measures can be eased further if the coronavirus situation in Hong Kong remains stable, says Secretary for Food and Health Sophia Chan Siu-chee.
The eight-people cap on the number of individuals joining social gatherings may be relaxed or the government may exempt more types of gatherings when the measures expire on Thursday, Chan said.
On her blog, Chan said under the current measures common activities such as street busking, basketball, football, mall shows, picnics and barbecues are restricted to not more than eight people.
"According to the development of the epidemic, we will review and adjust health policies by following the 'suppress and lift' strategy," she wrote.
"If the epidemic stays stable, we may lift the gathering cap step by step."
She said the relaxation of restrictions mainly applies to daily activities that are necessary for societal operations, including religious gatherings, which were allowed to resume on May 22 at less than 50 people or half of a venue's capacity.
But the measures are not likely to be canceled altogether, she said, in response to criticism that gathering bans have become the government's tool for suppressing protests.
"I must reiterate such remarks are ungrounded," Chan said.
"Like other countries and regions, regulations on group gatherings came solely from anti-epidemic considerations to prevent community transmission by avoiding crowds."
On border control, Chan said all arrivals from the mainland and overseas need to be put under a 14-day mandatory home quarantine but the government is considering waiving the quarantine on necessary travelers from some low-risk regions that have seen their infections under control.
"When feasible, we wish to gradually relax quarantine requirements so Hong Kong and certain regions can resume a certain extent of traveler flow and invigorate economic activities," she said.
Chan said a system to lift mandatory quarantine for necessary travel between Hong Kong, Macau and Guangdong is under way and details will be announced once they are confirmed.
Hong Kong yesterday saw no new Covid-19 cases, with the tally standing at 1,110 infections, including four deaths, after two more patients living in Luk Chuen House in Sha Tin's Lek Yuen Estate were diagnosed with the virus.
The new cases were a 58-year-old woman living in unit 812 with her 34-year-old sister-in-law - who was later identified as the likely "super spreader" in the latest cluster - and a 33-year-old man living in the unit next door.
So far, nine residents who live in seven units from the seventh to 11th floors have been infected.
The Centre for Health Protection two weeks ago moved all residents of units 10 and 12 in the 15-story building.
The center is running all 1,300 residents of the building through a second test. The likely super spreader tested positive late last month for the virus, which has a 14-day incubation period.
Separately, Kindergarten Three to Primary Three pupils as well as Secondary Three to Five cross-border students will return to school today after more than four months.
jane.cheung@singtaonewscorp.com
