Read More
Health authorities said today that a man who has tested positive for the deadly Sars-like Wuhan coronavirus had been turned away from a hospital at the weekend, because his symptoms didn't appear serious enough, RTHK reports.
The 56-year-old resident of Ma On Shan, who had been in Wuhan, returned to Hong Kong on Sunday. Feeling sick, he went to Prince of Wales Hospital the same day, but was told to leave because he did not have fever, or pneumonia.
On Monday, the man checked himself into the Alva Hotel by Royal in Sha Tin. He went back to the same hospital on Tuesday, by which time he did have a fever.
"Although he has some time staying in the community, his movement was not very big. He had very mild symptoms," said Wong Ka-hing, the controller of the Centre For Health Protection.
"Some experts have also commented that the risk this patient posed to transmission in the community should not be high."
The man was eventually put into isolation on Tuesday and was later confirmed to have been infected.
A tourist from Wuhan is also in hospital in Hong Kong after testing positive for the virus.
ADVERTISEMENT
SCROLL TO CONTINUE WITH CONTENT

















