Read More
Night Recap - May 21, 2026
3 hours ago
ImmD crackdown targets moonlighting domestic helpers arresting 17
19-05-2026 17:52 HKT
Some 25,000 people are suspected to have abused the HK$2 transport fare scheme for seniors - including 97 percent at MTR stations - but only 23 were prosecuted in the past three years, the Labour and Welfare Bureau said.
From 2020 to last year, bus operators have only referred two suspected cases to the police. Both cases are still under investigation.
In reply to insurance constituency lawmaker Chan Kin-por's questions at the Legislative Council, the bureau said some 1,100 suspects were found during site monitoring surveys jointly conducted by the Transport Department and public transport operators.
The remaining 22,000 cases were found during ticket inspection by public transport operators.
Among 4,042 cases from last year, 3,867 cases - or 95 percent - were found at MTR stations.
The railway giant only instituted 11, 10 and two prosecutions in 2020, 2021 and 2022, with 10, 17, and 10 cases convicted - which include some court rulings from cases from previous years.
Authorities last year also saw 142 people suspected of abusing the HK$2 scheme in ferries, 15 in green minibuses, and 12 in buses.
Between 2020 and 2022, the department detected six abnormal cases when examining the reports from public transport operators. The cases were referred to the police for follow-up action.
No suspicious circumstances were detected in two of the cases after investigation, while investigation of the other four cases is ongoing.
"At present, non-eligible passengers who are found traveling at the concessionary fares by the MTR are liable to a surcharge or even prosecution," the bureau said. "As for other public transport operators, staff will also observe the boarding passengers."
According to the MTR By-laws and its Conditions of Issue of Tickets, passengers are liable to pay a surcharge of HK$500 if they fail to provide proof to MTR staff that is consistent with the circumstances of their journey during the ticket inspection.
If passengers refuse to pay the surcharge, they may face prosecution and can be penalized at most HK$5,000 upon conviction. Those who are not eligible to enjoy the concessionary fares will normally be required to pay the shortfall on the spot, and individual cases may be referred to the police.
Eligible citizens aged 60 to 64 must apply for and use JoyYou Cards in order to enjoy the HK$2 fare, while those aged over 65 should apply for the card by end-October, the bureau said.
The JoyYou Card has both Chinese and English names and a photograph of the cardholder to facilitate verification.
Authorities are also considering to stop the existing arrangement of covering anonymous elder Octopus cards and personalized Octopus cards.
eunice.lam@singtaonewscorp.com


