Emigrate to Canada via the study route

Overseas Property | 23 Apr 2020

For those intending to emigrate to Canada, studying as an international student could be a practical first step of their journey.

The recent social instability in Hong Kong has prompted not only a few people to contemplate moving abroad, and Canada is amongst the top migrant destination countries, given its multiculturalism and the many emigration programs developed to facilitate the process.

Provincial Nominee Program

Canada’s Provincial Nominee Program (PNP) offers a workable route to acquiring Canadian permanent residency as it allows Canadian provinces and territories to nominate individuals who wish to immigrate to Canada and are interested in settling in a particular province/territory. Aimed at attracting talents who have the skills, education and work experience to contribute to the economy of a specific province/territory, PNP is generally categorized into two streams: Skilled Worker and Entrepreneur.

While the Entrepreneur stream pertains to business, such as setting up companies and agricultural investment, the Skilled Worker stream targets foreigners with a job offer, temporary foreign workers currently working in Canada, and overseas graduates who have studied in Canada and possessed relevant work experience.

To apply for a study permit in Canada, applicants are required to clarify their intentions for studying in Canada. Eligible overseas graduates can apply for a post-graduate work permit (PGWP) which enables them to search for job opportunities and work.

Alvin Tam, Immigration Program (Development) Director of Goldmax, points out that the study path offers applicants a chance to experience the local life of a particular province/territory in Canada, and determine whether they are suited to such a lifestyle.

Each province and territory has its own ‘streams’ (immigration programs that target certain groups) and requirements, with certain province/territory having higher qualification thresholds than others.

Manitoba and Alberta are especially popular given their comparatively lower requirements. For the Manitoba Provincial Nominee Program (MPNP), an applicant is required to have a non-seasonal, full-time job offer after completing at least six-month full-time employment at the company as a temporary foreign worker; or overseas graduate in Manitoba under the subcategory of Skilled Workers in Manitoba Stream.

Based on the needs of Manitoba employers, some occupations are qualified as in-demand, including architects, human resources managers and physiotherapists. Applicants who are employed by a Manitoba employer as Manitoba In-demand Occupation can be exempted from the six-month work requirement.

Ontario and British Columbia, on the other hand, have higher qualification thresholds. Although the Ontario Masters Graduate Stream of the Ontario Provincial Nominee Program designates that people can apply for residency within two years after receiving a master degree at accredited schools even without a job offer, strict quota restrictions are imposed on the Ontario Masters Graduate Stream each year.

Goldmax Consultants

Application for overseas study and immigration are both arduous processes and many people choose to enlist the help of immigration consultants to navigate through the complex web of procedures and jargons.

Goldmax provides consultancy services on Canada study and immigration by advising clients on the courses that are on offer based on their background and interests in different provinces/territories, and assisting them subsequently on follow-through immigration procedures if necessary. Throughout the process, Goldmax offers transparent pricing on itemized services.

Find out more at www.goldmaxint.com

Goldmax Immigration Consulting Co., Ltd.

Address: 22/F, Effectual Building, 16 Hennessy Road, Wanchai, Hong Kong

Telephone: (852) 2838 6233

Search Archive

Advanced Search
November 2021

Today's Standard