HK-based Japanese reporter released on bailLocal | 3 Sep 2020 3:31 pm
A Hong Kong-based Japanese freelance reporter was released on bail pending investigation on Monday following his arrest on August 31 for possession of an airsoft gun, police revealed.
He should report to the police in early October.
The 36-year-old Hong Kong-born, but Japan-raised reporter was among 15 people to be arrested in Mongkok on August 31, which marks the one-year anniversary of the Prince Edward station attack.
“Nine men and six women were arrested on that day, aged between 16 to 60, which includes a 36-year-old Japanese man, who has a Hong Kong identity card,” a police spokesman said.
“An airsoft gun was found in his personal belongings, and he was arrested for possessing intimidation firearms,” the spokesman added.
Police added that the man did not tell officers at the scene that he is a reporter, and police could not find identifications or tools that can prove that he is a reporter.
Meanwhile, his Facebook page was last updated on the same day, the newspaper Sankei Shimbun reported.
The reporter, who has been living in Hong Kong since four years ago, has been covering the SAR’s social unrest since last year - including taking pictures and recording footage of the movement.
Earlier in November last year, a Japanese student from Tokyo University of Agriculture who had entered Hong Kong for sightseeing was taken away by police near the Hong Kong Polytechnic University but was released. He said that he was assaulted by police.
The university was turned into a fortress by young anti-government protesters at the time, who barricaded themselves inside. There was an intense standoff between protesters and police, including running battles and clashes involving bows, arrows, hard objects, and tear gas.