Shanghai Boy arrested on return after years on run

Top News | 24 Nov 2020

Erin Chan

Businessman Kwok Wing-hung, better known as "Shanghai Boy," was still being detained as of last night at the airport police station awaiting Covid-19 test results following his arrest the night before, when the alleged gangster returned from Europe after two-and-a-half years on the run.

Kwok, 62, also a former leader of the notorious Tsuen Wan-based Wo Shing Wo triad, has been wanted after absconding in April 2018. He was arrested for money laundering in 2017.

Apart from jumping bail, he faces two counts of conspiracy to wound with intent, one for conspiracy to criminal damage and another count of criminal intimation.

Kwok returned to the city from Europe via Dubai and Bangkok.

At 3pm on Sunday, he boarded a Hong Kong-bound flight in Bangkok with his assistant.

Arriving at the Chep Lap Kok international airport three hours later, Kwok was first taken to a temporary specimen collection center for a coronavirus test.

His identity was blown when he underwent immigration clearance through the e-channels. Kwok was then arrested and escorted to a room before immigration officers called police.

At 9.30pm, officers from the Organized Crime and Triad Bureau arrested him.

At 10.15pm, Kwok walked out of Terminal One of the airport escorted by multiple plainclothes officers before boarding a police vehicle for the airport police station.

At noon yesterday, lawyers representing Kwok visited him at the station, where he has been detained.

Police said they made the arrest upon intelligence received by the Organized Crime and Triad Bureau.

It is learned that Kwok plotted his "comeback" in Hong Kong a month ago following the instructions of his godfather working in the legal sector.

Kwok announced the news to his friends working in the catering industry, saying "he could open a bottle of champagne for celebration while spending Christmas in Hong Kong."

He was embroiled in a money-laundering case involving over HK$100 million in 2017 and was released on a HK$200,000 bail pending investigation.

In April 2018, he failed to report to the Western police station but notified the force through his lawyer that he suffered a stroke in Thailand.

Instead, Kwok was said to be "scurrying" across several European countries and had bragged about meeting girls in Italy with his friends.

He was also previously photographed at a Cambodian casino.

Kwok "lived in luxury" while overseas, spending hundreds of thousand of dollars each month on bodyguards and staying in five-star hotels.

He was also said to have been infected with Covid-19 recently during his stay in Italy. Despite having fully recovered, he has lost his sense of taste.

Kwok made his living selling pirated CDs in the 90s, with his business growing into thousands of stalls at the time, and made his fortune after starting gambling halls in Macau.

Search Archive

Advanced Search
January 2021

Today's Standard