Ex-assistant of ousted lawmakers charged with firearms possessionTop News | Michael Shum 12 Oct 2020
A member of localist group Hong Kong Indigenous has been charged with possession of firearms without a license over an incident where a man fired a live round at police in Tai Po in December.
Chung Suet-ying, 29, will remain in police custody before appearing in Fanling Magistrates' Court today. She was among nine people arrested on Saturday for allegedly assisting 12 Hong Kong fugitives to flee the SAR.
Chung was also involved in several other unrest-related cases and has been wanted for 10 months in an incident involving 18-year-old David Su, suspected of firing a live round at officers in Tai Po in December last year. Su has already been charged and appeared in court.
Sources said Chung was the wanted woman who was walking with Su when police officers intercepted him, and managed to escape during the chaos.
Of the nine arrested in the early hours of last Saturday for allegedly assisting the 12 Hongkongers fleeing the SAR, five have been released on police bail.
Christina Tang Yuen-ching, 72, a former assistant of "long hair" Leung Kwok-hung was among the five released on HK$2,000 cash bail each yesterday evening, and will have to report to the police on October 22.
Tang allegedly helped the 12 by providing a location inside an industrial building in Kwai Tsing district to hide the fugitives before they fled in a speedboat which was intercepted by Guangdong coast guards off Ninepin islands on August 23.
Leung and Figo Chan Ho-wun, both from the League of Social Democrats, waited outside Mong Kok Police Station from Saturday night to pay Tang's bail.
Chung was the former assistant of ousted lawmakers Yau Wai-ching and Sixtus Leung Chung-hang.
Police senior superintendent Ho Chun-tung has said they believed the nine arrested - four men and five women aged between 27 and 72 - were friends of the 12. They were alleged to have assisted offenders by providing funding, arranging a speedboat and organizing hideouts for the 12 fugitives in Hong Kong.
One of the nine arrested owned the speedboat used in the failed escape attempt, while the others were suspected of providing money, accommodation, transport and helping the fugitives plan their escape, police said.
Officers seized electronic devices, more than HK$500,000 in cash and a receipt for hundreds of thousands of dollars for a vessel. Ho said more arrests might be made.
However, police refused to comment on whether police officers were on the surveillance flights flown by the Government Flying Service to track the 12 Hongkongers and on whether Hong Kong authorities notified mainland officers so that the 12 could be intercepted.
Soon after the arrests, family members of the 12 detainees said police are "diverting attention from the fact that they colluded with the Chinese authorities to send the 12 Hongkongers to China."
The "Save 12 Hong Kong Youths" concern group said it suspected the arrests could have been the result of "secret interrogations" by Shenzhen authorities and expressed worries that their loved ones might have been tortured.