Read More
Night Recap - May 18, 2026
5 hours ago
5.2-magnitude earthquake strikes Guangxi, tremor felt in HK
18-05-2026 01:22 HKT
Wallis Wang
Some 70,000 individuals including many from the mainland have arrived under various talent schemes - twice the annual 35,000 target - and 43,000 of them are considered highly skilled, says Chief Executive John Lee Ka-chiu.
They were among 110,000 people who were approved out of more than 180,000 who applied in the first 10 months of the year.
Some 43,000 out of 55,000 applications to the Top Talent Pass Scheme were approved, and they are expected to bring along 40,000 dependent spouses or children.
Lee said the robust application numbers showed Hong Kong's competitiveness in attracting skilled labor globally.
The government earlier said more than 90 percent of approved Top Talent Pass Scheme applicants are from the mainland.
Speaking at the founding ceremony of the Hong Kong Top Talent Service Association, Lee said the government set up a new Hong Kong Talent Engage office at the end of last month to assist nonlocals in long-term skills development.
The office is also responsible for recruiting those willing to develop their career in the city and help them expand their network, he added.
Lee appealed to members of the association, a partner of the office, to share their experiences with new arrivals.
"All representatives of the association are well-educated talent with a good career and are important forces to contribute to Hong Kong's development," Lee said. "I hope you can share your experiences with the newcomers and encourage them to stay. It would be even better if you can introduce boyfriends and girlfriends to them."
Lee urged association members to provide useful information to newcomers and tell their stories to the mainland and the rest of the world - to attract more talent to the city.
"Talent is the most important resource. All countries are speeding up their economic development after the pandemic with different means to recruit them," Lee said.
The government has expanded the list of universities recognized by the Top Talent Pass Scheme to 184 starting this month, he said. It has also relaxed the visa restrictions for skilled labor from Vietnam, Laos and Nepal.
Lee also said the government will organize a "Global talent summit cum Guangdong-Hong Kong-Macau Greater Bay Area high-quality talent development conference."
Secretary for Labour and Welfare Chris Sun Yuk-han said over one-third of the 55,000 applications to the Top Talent Pass Scheme are below 30 years old and 70 percent are 40 years old or younger.
The 43,000 approved to come to the city will bring around 40,000 spouses or children, Sun said.
"The arrival of youngsters is very important as Hong Kong is dealing with the challenge of an aging population," he added.
Sun said people believed the visa application process in the past was not transparent, while the scheme has clear guidelines and a convenient application process.
wallis.wang@singtaonewscorp.com
