Read More
Night Recap - May 22, 2026
3 hours ago
ImmD crackdown targets moonlighting domestic helpers arresting 17
19-05-2026 17:52 HKT
A threatening letter containing a razor blade was sent to Chief Executive Carrie Lam Cheng Yuet-ngor, her office said on Monday.
Apart from the blade, the office said the letter included “intimidating content,” but did not spell the details or where the letter was sent from.
Sources said the letter contained political demands, which included releasing protesters of the 2019 anti-fugitive bill movement.
Police arrived at the scene at 11.35am after receiving a report from security personnel of the government headquarters, who discovered the problematic letter during a routine check. Officers took away the letter for further inspection, and after preliminary investigation the case is listed as criminal intimidation. No one has been arrested so far.
A spokesman of the CE’s Office “severely condemned” the incident, and said: “Hong Kong is a society that upholds the rule of law, we do not tolerate illegal behaviors including violence and intimidation.”
“Whether it is the Chief Executive or the other public officers, the SAR government will follow up seriously if anyone attempt to stop them from carrying out their duties with illegal means,” the spokesman said.
This comes after several cases of threatening letters sent to judges last month.
Two letters containing expired beef were sent to Deputy Judge of the Court of First Instance Johnny Chan Jong-herng and District Judge Clement Lee Hing-nin, with a note saying they were being watched.
Two letters containing suspicious powder were also sent to Deputy District Judge Kathie Cheung Kit-yee at the West Kowloon Magistrates' Courts and Shatin magistrate Pang Leung-ting.
The Judiciary announced it will put in place security screening for the West Kowloon Law Courts Building starting Saturday to ensure the safety of judges.
Under the new arrangement, court users will be required to undergo security screening procedures, including body screening by metal detectors and inspection of personal belongings by x-ray baggage scanners before they may enter the building.
Earlier in May, the CE, Secretary for Security John Lee Ka-chui and Commissioner of Police Chris Tang Ping-keung received letters containing suspicious powder.
