Read More
HK movie producer Raymond Wong Pak-ming convicted of insider dealing
22-05-2026 17:10 HKT
Swire Properties wins compulsory auction for $2.02b Quarry Bay property
22-05-2026 20:36 HKT




Only plastic-stemmed cotton buds will be banned after the single-use plastic ban comes into effect on April 22, but sales of dental floss and interdental brushes will still be allowed due to insufficient substitutes, says Secretary for Environment and Ecology Tse Chin-wan.
The government will not ban the sale of everyday plastic products before sufficient alternatives are on the market, Tse said.
"The regulation is closely related to people's lives. We will decide whether to ban a kind of plastic product based on the supply chain, popularity and affordability of alternatives."
Tse said the plastic products to be banned either have alternatives with mature supply chains or are not daily necessities.
From April 22, the government will ban merchants and retailers from selling or providing free disposable plastic tableware and other plastic products, such as toothpicks, party hats and balloon sticks.
The fixed penalty for violators is HK$2,000 but they can be fined up to HK$100,000.
Cotton buds with stems made out of paper, wood or other materials are allowed to be sold after the implementation, Tse clarified. The government will also ban restaurants from providing plastic tableware for customers for takeaway and dine in, including plastic straws, stirrers, plates, forks, knives and spoons.
However, commonly used plastic tableware for takeaways, such as cups, cup lids, bowls and boxes can continue to be sold and used, Tse said.
Only suppliers and retailers of disposable plastic products will be regulated and people buying and using those products will not violate the law.
"The government will start the regulation from the source, which are retailers and suppliers, so as to avoid excessive impact on people's lives," he said.
A six-month adaptation period will be set up for sectors to adjust to the new policy.
And, Tse added, the government will only issue warnings and admonitions to those who violate the law in the first two months without penalty.
The Environmental Protection Department has checked out over 7,500 restaurants since late last year and will continue to visit different companies to give them information and suggestions on how to comply with the new regulation.
A new hotline will be set up to answer inquiries.
ayra.wang@singtaonewscorp.com

