Read More
Ayra WangMainland customs authorities yesterday said that cross-border travelers no longer need to complete the black code when entering or leaving the mainland starting today. But those diagnosed with infectious diseases or relevant symptoms must declare their condition to customs officers.
Health declaration requirements for cross-border travelers, commonly known as the black code, became history at the stroke of midnight today.
ADVERTISEMENT
SCROLL TO CONTINUE WITH CONTENT
"Those who conceal diseases or evade quarantine will bear corresponding legal responsibilities and those who cause the spread of infectious diseases or pose a serious risk will bear corresponding criminal responsibilities," said the General Administration of Customs of the People's Republic of China in an announcement posted on its website yesterday.
A happy passenger in West Kowloon Station, surnamed So, said she may travel more between Hong Kong and the mainland as a result of the repeal. "It's troublesome - I'm happy it was finally canceled," she said.
Another passenger, surnamed Wah, said he used to worry about long queues whenever he crossed.
"Some may not know how to fill in the forms online, which slows crossings," Wah said. "The cancellation is a good thing, though we've waited as long as three years."Lawmaker Chan Yung said the move would smooth out crossings as "it could save several seconds per person," and proposed that Hong Kong and mainland customs work together to conduct biometric identity checks instead of ID card checks.
Hong Kong's sole delegate on the National People's Congress Standing Committee, Starry Lee Wai-king, said today would be a "historic day," adding: "the cancellation marks that cross-border procedures will return to normal."Some Hong Kong and Macau residents have renewed their Mainland Travel Permits, also known as home return permits, upon the repeal of the black code.
Chan and his wife said they canceled all travel plans to the mainland after the health declaration was required and it has been four years since they last visited. They went to a China Travel Service Center in Sheung Wan to renew their permits yesterday as online application procedures for renewal were complicated.Seniors who also went to the center urged for special walk-in services for people over 75 as they have difficulty applying online.
The mainland authorities in May extended the validity of home return permits which were set to expire between January 1, 2020 and December 30, 2023 to the end of this year.Man Kam To Control Point will resume customs operations for goods starting from 7am tomorrow, said the Shenzhen Office of Port of Entry and Exit yesterday.
The port and Heung Yuen Wai Control Point were closed last month because of floods that damaged equipment stored underground on September 7.Trucks that supply fresh food to Hong Kong were allowed to enter the city through the port again on October 18, while customs clearance services for passengers and other vehicles remain closed until further notice.
From today, cross-border travelers no longer have to complete the black code when enteringor leaving the mainland.
Sing Tao
















