The Southbound Travel for Guangdong Vehicles scheme will be launched at midnight next Tuesday, the Transport Department said, after receiving about 700 applications in the first round of a ballot that pooled 1,700 successful applicants.
The department has not disclosed how many Guangdong vehicles have so far completed online bookings to travel to Hong Kong.
A department spokesperson said applications preliminarily vetted by mainland authorities have been re-examined by Hong Kong authorities since December 9, with approval notices issued upon completion of the local review.
Before entering Hong Kong, vehicle owners must install Hong Kong license plates starting with “FT” and ensure their HKeToll accounts are sufficiently topped up.
The department stressed that the government places great importance on vehicle and road safety, adding that all incoming mainland vehicles are required to undergo inspections at designated vehicle inspection centers. The qualifications of applicants and their designated drivers will also be subject to review.
The spokesperson said mainland vehicles and local private cars are generally expected to travel at different times, and the scheme is not anticipated to have a significant impact on cross-border traffic.
To help mainland drivers familiarize themselves with local requirements, the department has produced three short videos covering traffic regulations, driving precautions, and Hong Kong’s traffic signs and road markings.
The all-in-one mobile application HKeMobility has also launched a dedicated page and new features for the scheme, including a map showing parking facilities that provide charging services for mainland electric vehicles and accept mainland payment methods.