Read More
The SAR government is applying for a court injunction to ban the playing of the protest song “Glory to Hong Kong” because Google requests evidence that the song itself is against the law, said Secretary for Innovation, Technology and Industry Sun Dong.
ADVERTISEMENT
SCROLL TO CONTINUE WITH CONTENT
In a TV interview aired on Saturday, Sun pointed out Google has said they would only manually remove the protest song from the search results should the SAR government prove the song is against local law and have a court injunction.
Sun noted authorities had been communicating with Google for quite some time, but the tech giant refused the government’s request.
“Alright. If you say it is a legal issue, then we are dealing with it the legal way,” Sun said.
“We hoped to put our correct national anthem on the top of the search results, and Google had strong opposition to our suggestion. They mentioned a lot of technical reasons, and we responded in a technical way as well.
“We earlier pushed the correct national anthem to the top among the search results through our own internet search scheme.”
Sun further said Google was trying to drag Hong Kong into an international public opinion war, which remained a significant challenge in his first year in office.
Looking forward, Sun expected his work in the future to focus on the government’s blueprint of developing a global innovation and technology hub.
File photo.















