Read More
HK movie producer Raymond Wong Pak-ming convicted of insider dealing
22-05-2026 17:10 HKT
Swire Properties wins compulsory auction for $2.02b Quarry Bay property
22-05-2026 20:36 HKT
Secretary for Security Chris Tang Ping-keung has slammed former district councillor Andy Yu Tak-po - without naming him - for revealing details of the rescue of a Hongkonger from a scam farm in Myanmar.
Tang said the male victim is safe in Thailand and that some designated task force members from the Security Bureau, police and Immigration Department traveled to Bangkok yesterday.
Tang acknowledged former Yau Tsim Mong district councillor Yu for providing "psychological assistance" to the victim's family and expressed gratitude for his efforts.
But he stressed that disclosing such information publicly might not be beneficial for those who have yet to be rescued.Tang confirmed that the victim's family did not pay any ransom.
He said the task force is working with Thai authorities and the Chinese embassy in Thailand, along with members of the Hong Kong Economic and Trade Office in the country, to bring the victim home as soon as possible.The victim's family had earlier expressed concern that it may still take up to a month for him to return to Hong Kong and sought help from the administration.
Family members had said that the Myanmar government, under pressure from Thai authorities, sent soldiers to scam factories known as "KK Parks" to find the young man.The task force's trip came hours after Chief Executive John Lee Ka-chiu said 10 Hongkongers are still being detained at scam factories in Southeast Asian countries. Lee also said Hong Kong has raised the outbound travel alert for Myanmar to red.
Yu said on radio that the Myanmar military has a list that includes the name of the released individual.Yu said the victim's relatives first sought help from local civil organizations to contact Thai police and then reached out to the administration for help.
The male victim was reportedly deceived into going to a "KK Park" in October last year but was rescued on Sunday without paying a ransom and is currently at a Thai police station to help the investigation.He will likely be transferred to a detention center in Bangkok for up to two weeks and flown back to Hong Kong if all goes well.
Yu said the victim, who has had brief phone conversations with his family, needs to pay overdue residency fees in Thailand.Yu suggested that the Economic and Trade Office in Bangkok "actively assist by negotiating with the Thai government to expedite the necessary procedures for the victim's family, allowing him to return to Hong Kong as soon as possible."
Some families, Yu said, have recently lost contact with victims, raising concerns they have been transferred, which could complicate rescue efforts.The primary goal is to facilitate the release of the remaining trapped Hongkongers, Yu said, adding that he is voluntarily assisting families without seeking any reward.
Many of the kidnapped locals alleged that they had been lured to Thailand with phony jobs before being sent to the scam factories.Lee said the task force has already carried out thorough investigations and other law enforcement procedures against criminals behind the job scams. He added: "We have been strengthening efforts on all fronts. Our goal is to rescue them as soon as possible so that they can all come back to Hong Kong safely."
Hong Kong has also stepped up collaboration with overseas countries to rescue the victims, Lee said.cheng.wong@singtaonewscorp.com
Editorial: Page 4

