Hong Kong Chief Executive John Lee Ka-chiu said Tuesday the city would welcome international students facing academic difficulties in the United States after its government banned Harvard University from admitting new foreign students.
Speaking before his weekly Executive Council meeting Tuesday, Lee emphasized that Hong Kong is ready to provide "maximum convenience and support" to those affected by what he described as discriminatory US policies.
The government will maintain contact with Harvard alumni associations to jointly assist students facing unfair treatment, he added.
Lee highlighted that his administration had already doubled the admission quota for non-local students at Hong Kong's eight publicly funded universities—from 20 percent to 40 percent of total enrollments—and said there is currently ample capacity to accommodate affected students. He did not rule out further raising the quota if needed.
“Hong Kong's door is open to students who face discrimination and unfair treatment in the US," said the Hong Kong leader, urging them to consider continuing their studies in the city.
Lee’s comments came after US President Donald Trump's administration revoked Harvard University's ability to enrol international students and is forcing current foreign students to transfer to other schools or lose their legal status.
The ban, effective for the 2025-2026 school year, saw the administration slamming Harvard for fostering antisemitism and coordinating with the Chinese Communist Party. Chinese nationals make up about a fifth of Harvard's foreign student intake in 2024.