The reclamation project for the Kau Yi Chau Artificial Islands is a no-go for the current term of government, as authorities do not have the necessary conditions for the project to be carried out, said Secretary for Development Bernadette Linn Hon-ho.
The reclamation project was proposed by the government in 2021 to build three artificial islands of 1,000 hectares. The plan was in its infant stage of planning and studying, and was postponed earlier this year as the Northern Metropolis development was prioritized.
In response to lawmaker's inquiry on Wednesday, the development chief said to avoid “unnecessary public speculation and debate” on the project and, considering its implementation being slowed down, the project would wait until a specific timetable is confirmed before processing the Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA) Report and exhibiting it for public inspection.
She said the government will continue to complete the ongoing studies, including ground investigation, preliminary design of reclamation and major transportation infrastructure, and technical assessments related to land development.
However, even if these studies are completed, further studies, particularly detailed engineering design, will be required before proceeding to the reclamation phase, Linn added.