Virus kills yet another diabetic

Local | Jane Cheung 9 Mar 2020

A 76-year-old woman died of the coronavirus yesterday, the city's third fatality.

This came as the SAR saw four more cases, including two that showed no symptoms after diagnosis, taking the total to 114.

The Hospital Authority said the woman, who had diabetes, died at Caritas Medical Centre in Cheung Sha Wan.

She lived in Un Chau Estate with her husband, who was also diagnosed with Covid-19 on the same day as her, March 1.

The Centre for Health Protection said the woman needed insulin injections.

Her death came after a 39-year-old man who lived in Whampoa Garden died on February 4 and a 70-year-old man who lived alone in Shek Yi House in Kwai Chung died on February 19.

Both men were also diabetic.

Authorities said yesterday it is impossible to detect all cases in the community.

The Centre for Health Protection's head of communicable diseases, Chuang Shuk-kwan, said: "I believe there are asymptomatic cases undetected in the community but it's difficult to pick them all up."

Chuang said that the 111th case is a 76-year-old man living at Baguio Villa in Pok Fu Lam who went on a tour to Mumbai, India, from January 31 to February 24.

He is the fourth local member of the 21-member tour confirmed with the coronavirus. Chuang said the second case yesterday was a 55-year-old man, who is the husband of a previously diagnosed 55-year-old worshipper of the North Point Fook Wai Ching She Buddhist temple that is at the center of a cluster of infections.

Their 24-year-old son was also confirmed with the virus on February 25.

Chuang said the father has been living in a quarantine center since February 26 and previous tests for the coronavirus were either uncertain or negative.

The third case yesterday was a 47-year-old domestic helper of horse owner Yvonne Chow Hau-yee, who also was not unwell but tested positive two days before completing the 14-day quarantine.

The Filipino domestic helper is the fourth maid to be infected. Chow's other domestic helper, also a Filipino, 32, was earlier confirmed with the coronavirus but recovered and was discharged on Friday.

Three other Filipina helpers, including the latest, remain in hospital.

The last case yesterday was a 41-year-old man living in Envoy Garden in Happy Valley.

He has been to Japan for a business trip between February 19 and 21 and London between February 21 and 29.

Of the 114 cases, 58 have been discharged, 48 are still in nine hospitals with one critical, two serious and the rest in stable condition.

Search Archive

Advanced Search
November 2020

Today's Standard