Seven nabbed for attacking cops at rallyLocal | 12 Mar 2020 1:13 pm
The police have arrested seven people, including a 13-year-old boy, who they suspect attacked officers during a protest in Central on January 19, RTHK reports.
Police had demanded an early end to a rally organized by Ventus Lau and attended by thousands in Chater Garden, after some protesters blocked roads nearby and started fires. A number of police were battered during chaotic scenes, with at least one seen with blood pouring from his head.
Superintendent Raymond Chou said today that four community relations officers had been seriously wounded outside the Cheung Kong Centre by "black-clad protesters" armed with bricks and umbrellas.
He said seven male suspects aged between 13 and 34 years were arrested on Hong Kong Island and Kowloon on Wednesday, on suspicion of wounding with intent and illegal assembly.
"We have conducted in-depth investigations and have also gone through a large amount of CCTV and live video footage ... the assailants are all in masks and actually wearing similar outfits," Chou said. He added that the police had overcome "tremendous challenges" to identify the suspects.
The rally had been held to call for global sanctions on any Hong Kong officials who undermine human rights. One of the organisers, Ventus Lau, was arrested on the day. He was later charged with inciting people to take part in an unlawful assembly and refusing to follow police orders.