Footage shows student in Tseung Kwan O car park alone, police say

Local | 8 Nov 2019 5:38 pm

Hong Kong police said today new CCTV footage has come to light showing student Chow Tsz-lok wandering alone in a car park in Tseung Kwan O for more than half an hour on Sunday night before the Hong Kong University of Science and Technology undergrad walked up from the second floor to the third, from where they believe he fell, RTHK reports.
At a media briefing hours after Chow's death from his injuries today, the police also admitted that the timeline of events they had originally provided was wrong, and officers had first gone into the car park at Sheung Tak Estate to tackle protesters almost two hours earlier than they previously stated.
Senior Superintendent Suzette Fu said the police believe Chow left his home in Tseung Kwan O at 11:54pm on Sunday night and CCTV footage, from 00:26am and 01:00am, shows him wandering alone in the car park and on a connecting footbridge.
"At 01:02am he was seen walking up from the second floor to the third floor of the car park alone. Then, at 01:05am, some informants told fire services officers inside the car park that a man had fallen onto the ground," she said.
Fu also revised the police timeframe of events that night, after video footage emerged appearing to show officers pouring out of the car park much earlier than the force suggested they were present.
Officers tackling "radical protesters" went into the car park for the first time at 11:06pm and left at 11:20pm, Fu said, adding that they were patrolling the car park to "ensure public order.''
The police went back into the car park at 1:04am for a second time "to disperse protesters throwing objects from height," Fu told reporters, although she appeared to state this time incorrectly as "0:05am" when recapping in English.
Fu said when police went into the car park for the second time, firefighters were already treating Chow and this was the first point that the police knew of his presence.
"There are accusations that police officers chased after the man before his fall. We must clarify that it is certainly false," Fu said.
The police also said they are aware that there have been calls online for people to stage protests over Chow's death tonight and over the weekend and they appealed to the public to "stay calm and rational".

Search Archive

Advanced Search
May 2020

Today's Standard

Yearly Magazine

Yearly Magazine