Tuesday, September 23, 2014   

At least 33 die in Nigerian raid: source
(05-28 19:25)

A suspected Boko Haram attack on a military base and police station in northeastern Nigeria left at least 33 people dead, a security source told AFP on Wednesday.
The source, who requested anonymity, said 18 soldiers and 15 police lost their lives in the assault in the town of Buni Yadi, in Yobe state, on Monday.
"The militants arrived in vans wearing military uniform and went to the army barracks overlooking the police station,'' the source added.
"They were mistaken for soldiers and the soldiers opened the gates. They then began the attack.''
Multiple witnesses told AFP on Tuesday that the insurgents fired first on soldiers manning a checkpoint before razing the local police station.
The home of a local government leader and several government buildings were then torched before they turned their guns on an empty primary school.
Details were slow to emerge because of poor mobile phone reception in the area, where the militants, who are seeking to establish an Islamic state in northern Nigeria, have destroyed much of the telecommunication infrastructure.
Boko Haram gunmen on April 14 seized more than 200 schoolgirls from the northeastern town of Chibok, provoking international outrage.
A boarding school in Buni Yadi was also attacked in February this year. Suspected Boko Haram militants stormed the Federal Government College and killed more than 40 students as they slept.
Yobe has been under a state of emergency since May last year with neighbouring Borno and Adamawa states.
The source said the authorities had received reports of an impending attack on the state capital Damaturu and security had been increased but it was not clear whether the city or Buni Yadi was the real target. --AFP   
Other World breaking news:
White tiger kills youth at New Delhi zoo (2 hrs 1 min ago)
Liberia warns Ebola may force region back into conflict (2 hrs 7 mins ago)
Germany pushes for solution to Ukraine gas spat (2 hrs 12 mins ago)
Ebola cases to triple in weeks without drastic action, WHO warns (2 hrs 30 mins ago)
EU condemns China's life sentence for Uighur scholar (2 hrs 38 mins ago)
Qatar says not a gas 'alternative' to Russia (2 hrs 38 mins ago)
Israel to react 'forcefully' to threats after Syria jet downed (09-23 17:06)
Kuwaiti court acquits 67 stateless protesters (09-23 17:02)
Pilot strike 'real danger' for Air France: PM (09-23 16:09)
Pentagon: US, partners begin airstrikes in Syria (09-23 10:46)

More breaking news >>

© 2014 The Standard, The Standard Newspapers Publishing Ltd.
Contact Us | About Us | Newsfeeds | Subscriptions | Print Ad. | Online Ad. | Street Pts

 


Home | Top News | Local | Business | China | ViewPoint | CityTalk | World | Sports | People | Central Station | Spree | Features

The Standard

Trademark and Copyright Notice: Copyright 2014, The Standard Newspaper Publishing Ltd., and its related entities. All rights reserved.  Use in whole or part of this site's content is prohibited.   Use of this Web site assumes acceptance of the
Terms of Use, Privacy Policy Statement and Copyright Policy.  Please also read our Ethics Statement.