Thursday, August 28, 2014   

Bus spotted by companion of India gang-rape victim
(02-05 19:48)

The companion of an Indian medical student who died after being gang-raped identified Tuesday the bus on which the attack took place as he testified in the trial of five adults accused of her murder.
The 28-year-old, confined to a wheelchair as a result of injuries sustained in the attack, confirmed that a white bus was the vehicle on which the deadly assault took place on December 16, his father told AFP.
"Yes, my son could identify the bus. The cross-examination is going to start now,'' said the father, whose son cannot be named for legal reasons.
Although proceedings are subject to a gagging order, police allowed reporters to see the young man being taken in the company of lawyers and the judge to the bus which has been parked in the court compound.
No photographs were allowed.
He then returned inside the courtroom where he was expected to be cross-examined by lawyers for the five adult accused, who have all denied murder, rape and robbery charges.
A sixth defendant is being tried separately as a juvenile.
"My son will go to any lengths to ensure that the guilty are punished,'' the father had earlier told AFP as the two of them entered the courtroom in the Saket district.
"He will cooperate and is prepared to answer any questions posed by the defence.''
The 23-year-old medical student died in a Singapore hospital on December 29 from massive internal injuries she sustained during the savage bus assault a fortnight earlier which caused outrage across India.
She and her companion had spent the evening at the cinema and were lured onto the off-duty bus after failing to flag down an autorickshaw to take them home.
As well as taking turns to rape the woman and violating her with a rusty iron bar, the group attacked her companion so badly that he is still unable to walk properly.
He is the main witness in a case that is being held in a special fast-track court.
The judge has banned all reporting of proceedings inside the courtroom and ordered lawyers not to speak to journalists.
   
Other World breaking news:
Ebola vaccine trials being fast-tracked: researchers (30 mins ago)
Cop kill TV crew member while filming reality show (44 mins ago)
Ebola cases could exceed 20,000: WHO (48 mins ago)
Japanese lawmaker, martial artists in NKorea (1 hr 18 mins ago)
Fresh warning over Ebola (2 hrs 8 mins ago)
Nigeria confirms Ebola death in Port Harcourt (2 hrs 10 mins ago)
Cameron urges Scotland to stay as business leaders clash over independence (2 hrs 27 mins ago)
SKorea blasts Abe message to war criminals service (2 hrs 28 mins ago)
Six sentenced over 'nude games' in Malaysia (2 hrs 54 mins ago)
Japan coastguard seeks to double budget for disputed islands patrol (08-28 14:07)

More breaking news >>

© 2014 The Standard, The Standard Newspapers Publishing Ltd.
Contact Us | About Us | Newsfeeds | Subscriptions | Print Ad. | Online Ad. | Street Pts

 


Home | Top News | Local | Business | China | ViewPoint | CityTalk | World | Sports | People | Central Station | Spree | Features

The Standard

Trademark and Copyright Notice: Copyright 2014, The Standard Newspaper Publishing Ltd., and its related entities. All rights reserved.  Use in whole or part of this site's content is prohibited.   Use of this Web site assumes acceptance of the
Terms of Use, Privacy Policy Statement and Copyright Policy.  Please also read our Ethics Statement.