Chinese GP postponed

Sports | AGENCIES 13 Feb 2020

The Chinese Grand Prix scheduled for April 19 has been postponed because of the "continued spread" of the coronavirus.

Promoters of the Shanghai race had requested a postponement "in view of the continued spread of novel coronavirus," motorsports' governing body FIA said.

"As a result of continued health concerns and with theWorld Health Organization declaring the coronavirus as a global health emergency, the FIA and Formula 1 have taken these measures in order to ensure the health and safety of the travelling staff, championship participants and fans."

The Shanghai race, the fourth of the new season, becomes the latest sports event to fall victim to the virus outbreak which has killed more than 1,100 people in the mainland, where it emerged at the end of last year. FIA said it will cotinue to monitor the situation.

"All parties will take the appropriate amount of time to study the viability of potential alternative dates later in the year should the situation improve," FIA added.

"The Chinese Grand Prix has long been an important part of the F1 calendar with many passionate fans. The FIA F1 community looks forward to racing in China as soon as possible and wishes everyone in the country the best during this difficult time."

The postponement of the Shanghai race also throws into doubt the inaugural race in Vietnam, which takes place on April 5, but where there have also been cases of the virus. "The reality of today, in most other countries, the number of people affected is a handful," Formula 1 chief executive Chase Carey said. "But we don't know what it will be in a week or two."

Search Archive

Advanced Search
September 2020
S M T W T F S

Today's Standard



Yearly Magazine

Yearly Magazine