Court hears fallen protester's last notes

Local | Wallis Wang 12 May 2021

Protester Marco Leung Ling-kit, who fell from Pacific Place almost two years ago, left a notebook saying he was disheartened by Hong Kong and called upon the government to release students in the unrest, a coroner's court has heard.

His notes also said "What I do today is out of my own will, but it is facilitated by the government" and "release the students and the wounded, we are not rioting."

Leung, 35, fell to his death from the Pacific Place mall in Admiralty on June 15, 2019, during an anti-government protest.

During the inquest, Coroner David Ko Wai-hung and a re-selected jury of two men and three women heard that Leung's belongings left on the scaffolding he jumped from included a yellow raincoat with words in Chinese character: "Carrie Lam has murdered Hong Kong, police are cold-blooded" and a notebook with his handwriting saying he was disheartened.

Police constable Siu Wai-kit testified that Leung carried a banner with political slogans, a paper cutter, medicines and a T-shirt with the words "I am lost in Hong Kong" and a completed registration form of a wish for green burial.

"I have been disheartened by Hong Kong. I've been thinking about it in recent months but couldn't figure out an answer or how Hong Kong will be in the future," Leung wrote in his notebook. "What I do today is out of my own will, but it is facilitated by the government."

Leung also wrote "withdraw the fugitive bill," "release the students and the wounded," "we are not rioting," and "Carrie Lam step down" on another page in the notebook, Siu said.

Siu said Leung fell from scaffolding on the fourth floor of Pacific Place. Although the two entrances to the scaffolding were blocked by wooden boards, there was no notice to prohibit passers-by from entering it or warn of the risk of falling from a height.

Leung's family members - who had called for an inquest - did not show up in court yesterday as the court heard they have left Hong Kong. A statement written by senior immigration officer Tung Tin-yeung said Leung's parents and younger sister left the SAR on August 29, 2019.

Their destination was unknown and they had not returned to Hong Kong by last week, the court heard.

The family gave statements to the police shortly before leaving the city, saying Leung was not suicidal.

The family also said Leung did not have mental health issues and had no debts, adding that Leung had a good relationship with his family members.

On Monday, a jury of three men and two women was disbanded just hours after the inquest began as one of the five jurors told the coroner she couldn't fully understand Cantonese.

The inquest yesterday re-selected a jury of two men and three women, but a female juror said her husband was a police officer and asked if she could still serve on a jury. Ko warned she could not discuss the case with her husband.

Search Archive

Advanced Search
June 2021

Today's Standard