Radio host facing sedition charges taken to hospital

Local | Wallis Wang 9 Feb 2021

Online radio host Wan Yiu-sing, nicknamed "Giggs," failed to appear in court yesterday to answer charges connected to seditious intent after he was hospitalized.

Wan, 52, was to appear in West Kowloon Magistrates' Court yesterday to face four counts of acting with seditious intent against the central and Hong Kong governments.

Chief magistrate Victor So Wai-tak, a designated national security judge, adjourned the case to February 11 or on Wan's date of discharge from hospital, whichever is earlier.

Wan allegedly committed the offenses when hosting his online radio shows on August 8, August 15, September 5 and October 10 last year.

He allegedly intended to "bring hatred or contempt, or excite disaffection" against the central and SAR governments, exciting discontent or disaffection among Hongkongers and suggesting disobedience of the law.

Wan is being prosecuted under the Crimes Ordinance. But he was arrested by the national security department officers in his North Point home on Sunday.

Under the ordinance, Wan could be liable to a maximum penalty of HK$5,000 and two years in prison for the sedition charge.

The prosecution told the court yesterday that Wan on Sunday requested to be sent to the Pamela Youde Nethersole Eastern Hospital, where doctors yesterday said he could not be discharged due to his illness.

Wan will be kept in police custody before the court hearing.

All persons attending the hearing yesterday, including reporters and other citizens, were subject to an extra security check - bags had to be examined by security guards and liquids were banned from the courtroom.

Sources said the charges Wan is facing have nothing to do with a crowdfunding program he launched last February to help Hong Kong protesters who fled to Taiwan.

It is understood that the prosecution will only focus on what Wan had said on the internet shows at D100 as host.

On November 21 last year, Wan was also arrested by national security police officers under the suspicion of funding secessionists under the security law and money laundering.

Sources said Wan, his wife and his assistant collected over HK$10 million from the crowdfunding campaign that asked 1,000 parents to donate HK$2,500 each year to help Hong Kong protesters study in Taiwan.

Half of the money was used to fund organizations that support Taiwan independence, while around HK$6 million was used to buy stocks, according to sources.

Search Archive

Advanced Search
March 2021

Today's Standard