Search for patrons of bar in virus hit

Local | Jane Cheung 5 Oct 2020

Authorities are trying to trace customers of the China Secret bar in Tsim Sha Tsui on a day in September after a Vocational Training Council student and a Thai woman - both found to be infected later - were there.

The search was revealed yesterday as the SAR recorded five new cases, involving three men and two women.

Three of the cases were imported, one was linked to a previous local infection and one was from an unknown local source.

That took the case total to 5,114, with 105 deaths. And 10 preliminary positive cases awaited confirmation.

On the Tsim Sha Tsui bar, Chuang Shuk-kwan of the Centre for Health Protection said authorities believe the VTC male student, 22, and the Thai woman, 26, were there on September 23.

The student, diagnosed on Saturday, said he had been to the bar on the third floor of Lee Chau Commercial Building on Hart Avenue.

He recalled there were customers at six other tables, with Thais at the table next to his.

The Thai woman had been diagnosed on Thursday.

"So far, four staffers and seven customers have been put in quarantine," Chuang said.

The person found yesterday to have been infected by an unknown source was also a Thai, a 27-year-old housewife and a permanent resident.

She lives with her family in Tsing Yi's Cheung Wang Estate and often walks around Cheung Fat wet market and Maritime Square mall.

On September 20 and 26 she took a friend visiting from Thailand around Tsim Sha Tsui, after which the friend returned to Thailand, where she was found to have been infected.

After hearing her friend tested positive she went to a hospital and asked to be tested, Chuang said.

One of the imported cases is a woman, 73, who arrived from Nepal on September 13 and stayed at Best Western Kowloon Hotel in Tsim Sha Tsui for self-quarantine until September 26.

One day before completing quarantine she developed a stomach ache and a loss of appetite but did not report the symptoms.

She went to a relative's home on Yau Ma Tei's Battery Street on September 27, visited an outpatient clinic next day then a doctor on Nathan Road and from there went to Queen Elizabeth Hospital.

Two of her relatives tested preliminary positive and a third was sent to quarantine.

Meanwhile, an additional 2,000 quarantine units will be finished at Penny's Bay by year's end, Secretary for Development Michael Wong Wai-lun said. A second batch of 700 units was completed recently.

Search Archive

Advanced Search
October 2020

Today's Standard

Yearly Magazine

Yearly Magazine