Police changing of the guard for hot seatsLocal | Maisy Mok 5 Aug 2020
Two public faces of the police force - spokesmen Kong Wing-cheung and Bon Ko Chun-pong - are set to transfer out of the police public relations bureau this month.
Kong and Ko, known for their roles in the police's daily press conferences at the height of the unrest, will transfer to the auxiliary support bureau and police tactical unit. They will be replaced by railway district commander Leung Chung-man and former Police Report TV show host Cheung Ka-po.
Ko will leave next Friday to undergo four weeks of PTU training and start work at its Kowloon west headquarters after that.
"Last year's protest was historical, something the police have not seen in its 175 years of history," Ko said yesterday.
"I was hit with a brick in one protest and my hearing was temporarily affected by a loudspeaker blasting near me in another protest," he said.
Ko was referring to a Tsim Sha Tsui protest last August 3 when he was struck by a brick and when former lawmaker Au Nok-hin yelled through a loudspeaker during clashes in Mong Kok last July 7.
Senior superintendent Kong was shot by an arrow during the siege of Polytechnic University on November 17.
Despite serving in the PR unit for more than two years since September 2017, Kong described the incident as the one that left the strongest imprint in his memory. But he added that his wife and children are the ones most excited about his transfer, as it will allow him to spend more time with his family.
Chief inspector Cheung Ka-po of the personnel wing will succeed Ko, once he transfers to the PR branch in mid-August.
The former host of RTHK's weekend television program Police Report from 2008 to 2011 is also expected to be promoted to superintendent this year. Leung has already taken up his new position on Monday.