Bus-jump bid to escape quarantine

Local | Erin Chan 14 Jul 2020

A South Korean tried to escape mandatory quarantine by jumping out of the coach taking him to the Chun Yeung Estate quarantine center in Fo Tan yesterday. He will likely be prosecuted for breaching the quarantine order.

The 39-year-old tour guide, who resides in Hong Kong, jumped out of the coach via the emergency exit door as the vehicle reached Chung Ling Road in Tai Wai on the way to Fo Tan after taking Tsing Sha Highway at around 6am. He suffered injuries to his head and limbs.

A plainclothes police officer on the coach told the 55-year-old driver, Au, to stop the vehicle and called for reinforcements.

The officer managed to subdue the man after a brief struggle, sustaining abrasions to his fingers in the process.

Shortly afterward, several police officers and ambulance helpers in protective suits and masks arrived on the scene.

The man was seen smoking on the roadside and later boarded the ambulance after being persuaded. Both the man and the officer were taken to Prince of Wales Hospital in Sha Tin for treatment.

The coach was released after a preliminary investigation and continued its journey to Chun Yeung Estate with others under quarantine orders.

Police said the case has been classified as "traffic accident with person injured".

The man arrived on July 9 and was required to undergo a two-week quarantine at the Casa Hotel in Yau Ma Tei until July 23.

On Saturday, he had a Covid-19 test done at Queen Elizabeth Hospital after having a fever, but fled the hospital and returned to the hotel without permission while his test results were still pending.

The next day, police arrived at the hotel to search for the man after being notified by the department of health.

Despite the result of the test coming back negative, he was ordered to undergo quarantine at Chun Yeung Estate after he broke the mandatory quarantine order.

Earlier, on March 30, a 31-year-old local was the first person charged with a criminal offense in court for breaching the quarantine order.

Sing Kin Kung-kai was sentenced to three months imprisonment by a Fan Ling magistrates' court for evading quarantine by giving a fake address to a government nurse at Shenzhen Bay Port.

Sing arrived on March 8 and had to undergo a two-week quarantine. Two days later, he was caught attempting to leave Hong Kong during his quarantine period.

In a similar case, a 37-year-old local was sentenced to a 10-day imprisonment by a West Kowloon magistrate.

Tse Wing-yuk arrived on February 8 via Shenzhen Bay Port. But on February 12, he was caught trying to leave the city during his quarantine period. Violating a compulsory quarantine order is a criminal offense punishable by a maximum fine of HK$25,000 and a six-month imprisonment.

Search Archive

Advanced Search
August 2020

Today's Standard

Yearly Magazine

Yearly Magazine