Train slices off HK taekwondo team girl's legs

Local | Sophie Hui 21 Feb 2020

Sophie Hui

Doctors were trying to reattach both legs of a 17-year-old future sports star after she was run over by a train at Kowloon Tong Station just past midnight yesterday.

Lam Yung-nam, a member of the Hong Kong Taekwondo team, remained in a critical condition in the intensive care unit at Queen Elizabeth Hospital last night.

A train ran over her legs when she fell from the platform at Kowloon Tong.

MTR Corp said a Sheung Shui-bound train was approaching the platform at 12.22am when a female passenger fell on to the track.

Firemen got her out from beneath the train.

She was conscious when taken to hospital. Doctors were still trying to reattach the legs last night.

CCTV footage at the station showed the girl appeared to have jumped from the platform. No suicide note was found at the scene. Police classified the case as attempted suicide.

The train service between Hung Hom and Tai Wai stations was suspended until the East Rail Line service ended at 1.10am. Free shuttle buses were arranged for passengers.

Lam has a black belt.

She has taken part in international competitions, including the Asian Junior Taekwondo Championship in Jordan in July. Many contestants in the competition were viewed as "upcoming sports stars."

Her coach told the media that Lam is a hard-working and obedient student. The reason for her fall on to the track was still unknown.

Apart from Taekwondo, Lam is also good at painting and dancing. She won second place in a painting competition when she was a junior secondary student.

Separately, suspected packages were found on the tracks between Kowloon Tong and Tai Wai stations yesterday but it was a bomb hoax.

At about 11.30am, a suspicious shoebox-like object wrapped in duct tape was found on the track near a substation at Tai Wai.

"There were few words written on it saying Hong Kong National Independent Party," said Superintendent Chan Yan, assistant Sha Tin district commander of crime.

"After our colleagues from the explosive ordnance disposal bureau blew it up and checked carefully, there was no explosive device or explosives inside. It is an empty shoe box wrapped with tape," he said.

But he said the case was serious as the box was wrapped like a bomb and it was difficult for ordinary people to distinguish whether it was a fake. He said there were three similar cases in Sha Tin and Tai Po districts last week.

The train service between Kowloon Tong and Tai Wai stations was disrupted for about 1 hours.

Search Archive

Advanced Search
May 2020

Today's Standard

Yearly Magazine

Yearly Magazine