Crowd gathers to mourn at vigil for student

Local | Sophie Hui 13 Dec 2019

Sophie Hui

More than 1,000 people attended a vigil for Alex Chow Tsz-lok, the Hong Kong University of Science and Technology student who died last month after falling from a Tseung Kwan O car park.

The vigil started at 5pm yesterday, with shuttle buses ferrying students from the university to Po Fook Hill Cemetery in Tai Wai.

The 22-year-old computer science sophomore fell four meters from the third floor to the second floor of a car park near Sheung Tak Estate shortly after midnight on November 4 while police and protesters were clashing near the housing estate.

He suffered a severe brain injury and was in a coma after being sent to Queen Elizabeth Hospital, later dying on November 8.

Chow's smiling photo was placed in the cemetery's white hall, with the quote: "rest in peace in God's loving arms." There were funeral wreaths from his parents, HKUST president Wei Shyy and members of the university, including wreaths from the students' union and his fellow teammates from the university's netball team.

Shyy, council chairman Andrew Liao Cheung-sing, and a number of university teachers, students, and alumni arrived at the cemetery at 3pm.

Retired Hong Kong cardinal Joseph Zen Ze-kiun and convener of the Civil Human Rights Front Jimmy Sham Tsz-kit, also attended the vigil.

Family members and friends mourned together in the hall, while many citizens started queuing outside at 4pm, dressed in black and holding white flowers.

Riot police officers were on standby on the footbridge near the station, but the UST students' union was dissatisfied with the police arrangement.

"Today is a sorrowful day for Hongkongers and HKUST, I don't understand why there are police at Tai Wai station," said Kelvin Leung Ming-hin, internal vice-president of the students' union.

The reason for Chow's fall remains unknown.

Search Archive

Advanced Search
January 2020

Today's Standard

Yearly Magazine

Yearly Magazine