Macau tight-lipped on AmCham banLocal | Angel Kwan and Reuters 9 Dec 2019
Macau's Secretary for Security, Wong Sio-chak, says he won't comment on individual cases after the chairman and the president of the American Chamber of Commerce in Hong Kong were denied entry to Macau on Saturday.
Wong said he only knew about the case through media reports, adding every country and region has their own immigration policies.
He said that the safety of Macau and the possible threat to the city's stability would be the only concern, while factors including identity and occupation would not be taken into consideration.
AmCham chairman Robert Grieves and president Tara Joseph were travelling to Macau for the annual AmCham Macau Ball when they were barred entry.
They said authorities did not say why they were refused entry.
"We hope that this is just an overreaction to current events and that international business can constructively forge ahead," AmCham said in a statement Saturday.
The two were told to sign a statement saying that they "voluntarily agreed not to pursue entry to Macau," according to Reuters.
Macau immigration authorities could not be reached for comment.
Joseph she was puzzled why she was prevented from going to the annual event, which was also attended by the US Consul General of Hong Kong and Macau, Hanscom Smith.
The incident comes after US President Donald Trump signed into law last month congressional legislation backing pro-democracy protesters in Hong Kong despite angry objections from Beijing.