Second jewelry store looted in broad daylight

Local | Charlotte Luo 3 Dec 2019

A Cheung Sha Wan jewelry shop was robbed of around HK$3 million worth of gold items yesterday --just a day after another HK$2 million jewelry heist on Sunday.

No one has been arrested so far in relation to the two robberies.

The incident occurred at the Fook Tai Jewellery on Castle Peak Road shortly before 11am.

Two suspects carrying a knife and a sledgehammer were seen stepping out of a white car. They ran into the shop, smashed display counters and fled after grabbing a large number of gold items.

Police later learned that the getaway vehicle was stolen earlier in the morning in Cheung Sha Wan.

Officers have also been scouring surveillance camera footage to identify the suspects while investigating if a third suspect was driving the getaway car and whether the two robberies were connected.

On Sunday, four masked men smashed glass counters with a hammer at a jewelry shop in To Kwa Wan at about 3.40pm. They grabbed HK$2 million worth of gold items and left in a getaway taxi driven by a fifth suspect.

During a routine police briefing yesterday, senior superintendent Steve Li Kwai-wah said there had been 28 cases of robberies in October, showing a clear increase when compared to last year's 147 cases in total.

He admitted police presence in the neighborhood cannot be compared to the past due to the social unrest. Li also worried that the law-abiding conscience in the society had declined lately and crimes may increase because of the imitation effect.

Chief superintendent Kwok Ka-chuen said although police has tried to expedite the handling of criminal cases, it also needs citizens to collaborate and no longer tolerate violence, so that order can be restored in the society.

Before August, police patrolled the streets on foot. But they have started to patrol on streets in police vans following ongoing protests.

Search Archive

Advanced Search
June 2020

Today's Standard

Yearly Magazine

Yearly Magazine