Driver bailed for Yuen Long attack

Local | Cindy Wan 19 Sep 2019

A 57-year-old truck driver has been granted bail after being taken to court for rioting in connection with the MTR Yuen Long station assaults by white-shirted men on protesters and passengers.

Ng Wai-nam, nicknamed "Fei Tin Nam," appeared at Fan Ling Magistrates' Court in a wheelchair to face a charge of taking part in a riot on Long Wu Road outside the station on July 22 at midnight.

He collapsed that night and was admitted to hospital.

His lawyer, Stephen Ma Tsz-on, said yesterday Ng has heart disease and relies on blood thinners to control his condition.

Ng was accused of rioting with 60-year-old barbecue site owner Tang Wai-sum, who was taken to court in early September, and other unidentified people.

No plea was taken and the hearing was adjourned to October 25 by acting principal magistrate Don So Man-lung.

Ng was granted HK$50,000 bail. He was placed under curfew and must report to Pat Heung police station twice a week.

He cannot leave Hong Kong and is banned from going within 50 meters of Yuen Long MTR station.

His lawyer said Ng needs the care of his sister, who has been living with him since he was discharged from hospital.

Ng is understood to have contacted the police last week through his lawyer to turn himself in, but delayed the surrender until Tuesday for health reasons.

Officers from the New Territories North regional crime unit made the arrest in Tai Po on Tuesday.

A total of 32 people have been arrested over the attacks. Six have been charged with rioting.

Meanwhile, a Chinese-Canadian student was charged with criminal damage after the Tsuen Wan office of lawmaker Junius Ho Kwan-yiu was vandalized on July 22.

Anson Chu Pui-hang, 18, was absent from the hearing at Shatin Magistrates' Courts yesterday as he was in hospital for a heart ailment.

Chu's counsel said he suffers from hyperactivity disorder and needs his mother's care. He asked for bail.

But the prosecution said Chu was living with his girlfriend in Chai Wai until his arrest on Monday.

Acting principal magistrate Ko Wai-hung adjourned the hearing to tomorrow to wait for his discharge. The bail request will be handled in Chu's presence.

Vandals targeted Ho's offices after the lawmaker was suspected of being behind the Yuen Long attacks when he was seen shaking hands with white-shirted men.

Search Archive

Advanced Search
May 2020

Today's Standard

Yearly Magazine

Yearly Magazine