Cop arrested over baby boy's deathLocal | Charlotte Luo 22 Mar 2019
A policeman was arrested yesterday for child neglect causing death after his nine-month-old baby boy died last month.
The officer, 36, found that his baby lost consciousness while sleeping in their apartment at Yau Chui Court in Yau Tong. At the time, the baby was suspected to have choked on milk.
However, officers arrested the father after they went through security footage that was discovered.
A police source said while the officer did not abuse or shake the baby, he did neglect it.
He was released on bail yesterday and has not been suspended from duty. He will report back to police by month end.
Police had received a call at about 4am on February 19 about an unconscious baby. The boy was rushed to United Christian Hospital where he was certified dead.
The case was among a string of sudden baby deaths last month, when three babies died within three days.
A three-month-old girl died last March after vomiting milk.
Medical experts have warned that drinking too much milk, or an incorrect feeding posture may cause infants to choke or suffocate.
Pediatrics doctor Lau Ka-fai said vomiting is a common occurrence among newborns. He said when babies reach three months, development of their stomach gradually matures, which reduces the risk of vomiting.
He reminded parents to gently pat their baby's back for a few minutes after they drink milk.