Cops ready for Legco clashes anniversary

Top News | 10 Jun 2021

Michael Shum and Sophie Hui

More than 1,000 police officers will be deployed across Hong Kong on Saturday on the second anniversary of clashes to oppose the fugitive bill outside the Legislative Council Complex.

Police said most will be deployed in Causeway Bay - amid an online call to mark the second anniversary of "the road of confrontation" - and in Mong Kok, where scuffles usually happen at street booths.

"As there will be activities around the globe to support Hong Kong, we should prove that persist," an online user wrote.

On June 9, 2019, more than one million people joined the rally from Victoria Park to Tamar, demanding the government withdraw the fugitive bill.

It was one of the largest protests in Hong Kong's history and kicked off the social movement that lasted more than a year.

Fierce confrontations between police and protesters took place in Admiralty and Central three days later on June 12, 2019.

Another mass rally drawing two million people took place on June 16, 2019, when protesters marched from Victoria Park to Tim Mei Avenue outside government headquarters. They demanded the government withdraw the bill and not to call the June 12 clashes riots. They also demanded Chief Executive Carrie Lam Cheng Yuet-ngor to step down.

A total of 10,260 people - 7,522 men and 2,738 women aged between 11 and 84 - had been arrested since the movement began on June 9 two years ago until April 30 this year, police said.

A total of 2,624 of them have completed or are still in the process of judicial proceedings, and 715 people have been convicted.

Many leaders of the opposition have landed in jail since the unrest and could only ask their social media administrators to post on their behalf on the second anniversary of June 9 yesterday.

Avery Ng Man-yuen, secretary general of the League of Social Democrats, who is serving a 14-month jail term for an unauthorized assembly on National Day in 2019, asked Hongkongers to "never say die."

He added: "Even if people do nothing, the regime will not rest on its oars, but become more barbaric and unreasonable."

Civil Human Rights Front convener Figo Chan Ho-wun, who is serving 18 months over the same case, said he knew it is a hard time for pro-democracy protesters, "but there is always hope."

The Democratic Party asked its supporters to take care of themselves and it would "always be with them."

Demosisto former lawmaker and fugitive Nathan Law Kwun-chung, who fled to Britain, said on Facebook: "It is OK to be not OK. I hope Hongkongers can continue fighting as their wounds recover."



Search Archive

Advanced Search
June 2021
S M T W T F S

Today's Standard