Five in bar-hop band infected

Top News | Jane Cheung 25 Mar 2020

Five more musicians from a Filipino band that performed at bars in Lan Kwai Fong and Wan Chai have been found to be infected, along with a waiter who works there.

This came as Hong Kong recorded 30 more confirmed cases yesterday - including 12 women and 18 men aged 15 to 66 - taking the total to 387.

The band - with seven members infected so far - had performed at Insomnia in Central, as well as Centre Stage and Dusk Till Dawn in Wan Chai on the same night, said Centre for Health Protection's head of communicable disease branch, Chuang Shuk-kwan.

The local Filipino community has seen at least a dozen of its members infected, including a new case yesterday of a domestic helper who recently arrived from the Philippines.

Chuang said another confirmed case was a waiter from Insomnia whose coworkers have been sent to quarantine. But she said authorities have no power to require the bars to close, though they have "advised them to conduct comprehensive cleaning."

Chuang also admitted it is impossible to trace all of these bars' customers. "If they have been to these places and are sick, they should attend a doctor as soon as possible," she said.

She added that some previous cases who had been to Lan Kwai Fong said they had been to those bars but she is "not sure if they actually acquired the virus from there."

On other cluster cases, Chuang said the one more person who attended the 100-person party at Studio 9 in Wong Chuk Hang has been confirmed, taking the cluster's total to five.

The Discovery Bay wedding cluster saw one new case too, bringing the total to 12, while two more students who returned from abroad were also confirmed. One of the new cases had been to Macau from March 8 to 11 and visited a few casinos.

A Cathay Pacific flight attendant who worked on CX315 and CX320 to and from Spain on March 7 and 11 was also confirmed.

A guide from EGL Tours who led a 20-person tour to Turkey, Spain and Portugal between March 7 and Saturday also tested positive during his mandatory home quarantine.

Among those with no travel history, a NowTV video editor tested positive and his girlfriend who works at Radio Television Hong Kong is now under quarantine. NowTV said it has closed its news department for cleaning but news services will continue.

The Hospital Authority said 102 patients have been discharged, one more than before. Among 251 people still being treated, four are in critical condition, one serious and the remaining 246 stable.

jane.cheung@singtaonewscorp.com

Search Archive

Advanced Search
March 2020
S M T W T F S

Today's Standard



Yearly Magazine

Yearly Magazine