Driver crushed to death after breakdown

Top News | 13 Dec 2019

Stella Wong

The driver of a seven-seater was crushed to death in a three-vehicle crash yesterday after he got out of the broken-down car on a highway.

The 53-year-old driver, surnamed Xie, was run over on the Yuen Long-bound lanes of San Tin Highway as a goods vehicle rammed the seven-seater and a container truck crashed into the goods vehicle from behind.

A 65-year-old truck driver, surnamed Mo, and the 50-year-old container truck driver, surnamed He, were arrested for dangerous driving causing death.

At 7.20am when approaching Mai Po Tsuen, the Toyota seven-seater broke down and stopped on the slow lane of the highway.

Traffic police inspector Kwok Chun-lok said a goods vehicle failed to stop in time, hitting the rear of the seven-seater and pushing it dozens of meters.

Kwok said a container truck then rammed into the back of the goods vehicle. The driver was hit from behind. The container truck driver had minor leg injuries and was sent to Pok Oi Hospital. The other driver was unhurt.

Police said both drivers passed a breathalyzer test.

It is understood that Xie was an owner of a company that transports furniture.

The chairman of the Motor Transport Workers General Union, Chan Siu-wah, said one should not check a vehicle when it breaks down, or stand close to the front or the back of the car.

"He should just ignore the car instead of checking it. Vehicles on a highway are driving at speed of 100km/h."

The driver should put on warning lights and drive the vehicle to the emergency lane or the side of the highway.

About four hours after the accident, another collision involving three vehicles happened on the same highway, injuring three people. A taxi was badly damaged as it was sandwiched between two trucks.

At about 11.15am, a grab-mounted truck and the taxi were traveling on San Tin Highway toward Sheung Shui. The truck and the taxi slowed down due to a traffic jam, but another truck behind could not stop in time and rammed into the taxi. The taxi was pushed forward and hit the grab-mounted truck.

A 62-year-old taxi driver, Yeung, suffered head and chest injuries and was sent to North District Hospital. A taxi passenger, Kwun, 33, was sent to Prince of Wales Hospital with head and chest injuries and in a serious condition.

A truck passenger, Man, 20, suffered head and waist injuries and was sent to North District Hospital.

All drivers passed the breathalyzer tests and no one was arrested.

Search Archive

Advanced Search
January 2020

Today's Standard

Yearly Magazine

Yearly Magazine