Casualties mount amid rage, bitterness

Top News | Jane Cheung and Stella Wong 15 Nov 2019

One man has died and two are in critical conditions after violence escalated among people of different political opinions.

A black-clad man died from a fall on Wednesday while two remain critical in hospital - a 15-year-old student hit on the head by a suspected tear gas canister and a 70-year-old cleaner hit on the head by a brick, both also on Wednesday.

Meanwhile, Sheung Shui saw men with extendable rods attack black-clad protesters while a man dragged a girl yesterday.

Online videos show more than 20 men in caps and masks and holding rods attacking protesters and others near the Northern District town hall.

A white-shirted man is seen grabbing a black-clad young woman, who struggles to escape. She is subsequently rescued by passersby.

Another footage shows several people beating and kicking a man in black near a wall.

Police said one man who claimed to be assaulted outside the town hall was sent to North District Hospital. Its crime unit is investigating.

The videos caused protesters to assemble at Lung Sham Lane near the MTR Sheung Shui station around 6pm, occupy lanes and chant slogans.

Yuen Long also saw dozens of people in uniform with "Hong Kong good citizens" badges on their arms holding slogans in support of law enforcement as they marched along Castle Peak Road.

At the Cross Harbour Tunnel, where traffic in both directions have been suspended due to blockades, a man who tried to remove road blocks was pelted with a chair and other objects from a bridge atop Hong Chong Road.

Meanwhile, a student named Fu, 15, remained critical after receiving a four-hour brain surgery in Tuen Mun Hospital.

He was hit on the head by a suspected tear gas canister launched by cops from the rooftop of Tin Shui Wai Police Station to disperse protesters besieging it. The secondary student's uncle said he was not sure whether Fu was a protester or a passerby when he was hit.

Senior superintendent Kong Wing-cheung from the Police Public Relations Branch said: "We do not know why Fu appeared at a protest site."

Meanwhile, Law, a 70-year-old outsourced cleaner of the Food and Environmental Health Department, may be brain dead after being struck in the head by a brick during a clash between protesters and residents in Sheung Shui.

"The man showed symptoms of brain death and the police force's New Territories North crime unit will follow up with investigation," Kong said.

Law was suspected to be hit in the head by hard objects thrown by masked protesters during his lunch break, a government spokesman said.

During the chaos, the cleaner was hit by a brick in the face.

He fell on his back unconscious and was admitted to Prince of Wales Hospital.

A black-clad man also died in Tsuen Wan on Wednesday night, which police classified as a "fall from height" case. They dismissed rumors that he was pushed off the building by police.

Search Archive

Advanced Search
July 2020

Today's Standard

Yearly Magazine

Yearly Magazine