Hammer attack on protest organizer

Top News | Charlotte Luo 17 Oct 2019

Civil Human Rights Front convener Jimmy Sham Tsz-kit was attacked by several men with hammers in Mong Kok last night - the second assault on the protest leader in two months.

The front said Sham was attacked by four to five men at Arran Lane while he was on his way to the organization's meeting.

A photo of Sham lying beside a car, with blood on his face and arms, has gone viral online.

Police said it received a report of a man being attacked around 7.40 pm by "six to seven people" on Arran Lane. They are treating the case as an assault.

Sham was admitted to Kwong Wah Hospital in stable condition.

The front has organized protests, including a two million-strong demonstration on June 16.

"It is not hard to link this incident to a spreading political terror in order to threaten and inhibit the legitimate exercise of natural and legal rights," the front said.

Lawmaker Lam Cheuk-ting said the attack was aimed at injuring protest organizers.

He criticized police for being incapable and reluctant in protecting pro-democracy politicians.

On June 30, Lam was attacked in Admiralty and he provided videos and photos showing the alleged assailants. The case has yet to result in any arrests.

Police also only arrested a small number of attackers responsible for the mob attack in Yuen Long on July 21.

The Labour Party said the assailants want to silence people who express their opinions.

"Carrie Lam stressed in her policy address that society should condemn radical behavior and support the government to curb violence and enforce laws. If she still allows such evil forces to attack citizens, it will only enrage the public more," it said.

On August 29, Sham was hit with a baseball bat by two masked men - who appeared to be of south Asian descent - in a restaurant in Jordan. Sham was not injured, but a friend who sought to protect him suffered an arm injury and was taken to hospital.

Sham later said the attackers burst in and hit their table three times with the bat before attacking them.

Dashcam footage shows two masked men holding the bat and a rod while getting out of a white vehicle on Tak Hing Street and going into the restaurant. Less than 40 seconds later, the assailants come out of the restaurant and get into the vehicle.

On the same day, Max Chung Kin-ping, organizer of the Yuen Long protest on July 27, was attacked by four men -who also appeared to be of south Asian descent - with a metal rod in Tai Po.

At the time, Chung had just left the Tai Po police station and agreed to an interview with a reporter.

One of the four men, who may have followed him from his home, attacked Chung. He tried to protect his head with his arms but got hit with the rod. He sustained multiple wounds to his back and arms. The reporter was also injured.

On October 8, pro-democracy newcomer and Kwun Tong District Council candidate Leung Hoi-ching was also attacked.

A man reportedly struck her at the back of the head with an object while she was campaigning, leading to her hospitalization.

Twenty four pro-democracy lawmakers have put out a joint statement condemning the deadly attack.

"This is the second attack against Sham in less than two months. Similar to last time, it happened on the eve of a march to be organized by the front," they stated.

The march is set for Sunday.

Search Archive

Advanced Search
July 2020

Today's Standard

Yearly Magazine

Yearly Magazine