Hang Lung beefs up security after Amoy Gardens chaos

Top News | Angel Kwan 16 Sep 2019

The developer of Amoy Gardens says it will strengthen its manpower and review guidelines on handling emergencies at its mall to protect the safety of residents and tenants.

Hang Lung Properties was responding a day after rival groups of demonstrators clashed at Amoy Plaza in Kowloon Bay, injuring 29 people.

"Two groups of people with different opinions faced off in the mall. There was a large number of them and skirmishes and chaos happened," Hang Lung said yesterday.

The group stressed it did not call police and the officers who arrived did not inform the mall's management about their operation in advance.

"Managers tried their best to handle [the situation] but the chaos continued. Police then intervened without informing the management office," Hang Lung added.

Dozens of pro-Beijing protesters waved Chinese flags at about 2pm on Saturday, sang the national anthem and chanted "Support the police."

Pro-democracy protesters later gathered to sing as well and chanted: "Liberate Hong Kong."

Some pro-democracy protesters wearing masks were told by the pro-Beijing camp to take them off.

The two groups exchanged punches and threw eggs and umbrellas at each other. As least one man was seen bleeding from his head. At about 3.15pm, uniformed and riot police arrived at the mall and separated the two groups. At least 10 teenagers were subdued.

At about 4pm, two men were arrested, including a 23-year old man, surnamed Yeung. His parents said they rushed from their nearby flat after seeing their son being arrested on television.

Yeung's father showed his resident's card and asked police why his son was arrested.

"He was just coming down for food," the father said, but the officers did not respond.

He said his son was not wearing black or a mask. "[Police] are barbaric as triads they made arrests [just because they are] teenagers."

At 5pm, a woman was surrounded and attacked by group of people on an escalator, her lips bleeding, after she tried to take close-up photos of protesters.

Later, dozens demanded the mall management to explain why they allowed the pro-Beijing protesters and later the officers inside.

A manager said they never called police and staff have tried their best to take care of the needs of residents, business owners and customers.

Twenty-five people were treated after Saturday's clashes, the Hospital Authority said.

Police did not disclose the number of people arrested.

Search Archive

Advanced Search
January 2020

Today's Standard

Yearly Magazine

Yearly Magazine