Prof charged with family murders

Top News | Phoebe Ng 12 Sep 2017

An anaesthesia professor at Chinese University has been arrested and charged with murdering his wife and teen daughter who collapsed from carbon monoxide inhalation in a Mini Cooper two years ago.

Khaw Kim-sun, a 52-year-old Malaysian Chinese, was remanded in jail yesterday after appearing at Sha Tin Magistrates' Court for the double murder on May 22, 2015.

The pair were found in the yellow car on Sai Sha Road near Sai O Village in Ma On Shan.

The victims, Khaw's Malaysian wife Wong Siew-fing, and their second daughter Lily Khaw Li-ling, 16, were sent unconscious to Prince of Wales Hospital, where they were certified dead in the afternoon, police said yesterday.

"A post-mortem revealed that they died of inhaling carbon monoxide," a statement said.

Officers of the Crime Squad of Sha Tin District arrested Khaw at a unit in Tai Tung Village in Ma On Shan before 6.30am yesterday.

Wearing a grey and white striped shirt, Khaw, an associate professor at CUHK's Department of Anaesthesia and Intensive Care, was escorted hooded and handcuffed to the Ma On Shan police station.

At 1.30pm, he was driven in a police car to Sha Tin Magistrates' Court for the first court mention.

Looking tense and solemn, Khaw squeezed his hands at his back and often scanned the public gallery.

But defense barrister Ronny Leung Yiu-wai said none of his family members attended yesterday's court session.

A court interpreter read out his charges in English and asked whether Khaw understood, and Khaw replied calmly and quietly "Yes."

No plea was taken and the hearing was adjourned to October 16 at Eastern Magistrates' Courts.

Leung agreed with the arrangement and did not make any bail application. Khaw was subsequently remanded in custody.

The prosecution will apply for the case to be transferred to the High Court of First Instance.

The young daughter was a secondary student at the private international Renaissance College in Ma On Shan. Khaw and his late wife have two other daughters and a son.

At that time of the 2015 incident, the eldest daughter, 22, was studying medicine in Malaysia.

The 15-year-old third daughter and 14-year-old youngest son were both studying in Hong Kong schools.

Before the arrest, Khaw was still living at the same Ma On Shan address with his third daughter and a domestic helper.

Khaw had been publicly displaying affection for a female colleague in her 30s, but neighbors said they did not see any woman with Khaw in or outside the house.

Khaw and the colleague would frequently eat out and go grocery shopping together, where they were seen holding hands.

At times, Khaw would eat in with his daughter before driving over to the woman's apartment in Sha Tin to spend the night.

The girlfriend had completed a degree in radiography at Hong Kong Polytechnic University before enrolling in a four-year PhD course in the CUHK department of anesthesiology in 2004

Official records showed Khaw had been the woman's supervisor.

Faced with media inquiries, Khaw told reporters to "get the fxxk out" of his life.

The woman has not responded to any media inquiries since Khaw's arrest.

In a statement, CUHK confirmed Khaw is employed by its School of Medicine.

"Since the case has already entered criminal proceedings, the institute will deal with his teaching position according to the standard protocol," a spokeswoman said.

Search Archive

Advanced Search
September 2021

Today's Standard