`Murder' most foul

Top News | Carain Yeung 25 Oct 2016

A British banker tortured an Indonesian woman using sex toys and pliers over three days before cutting her throat while bingeing on cocaine - and then took disturbing videos of the scene, the High Court heard yesterday.

Days later, Rurik Jutting slit the throat of another Indonesian woman and again filmed the scene.

The footage Jutting filmed after he allegedly killed the two Indonesian women two years ago was gruesome and jurors will see it in court today, the judge said yesterday as the trial opened.

Jutting, a Cambridge University graduate who worked for Bank of America-Merrill Lynch, is charged with the murders of Sumarti Ningsih, 23, and Seneng Mujiasih, 26, whose bodies were found in his luxurious flat in Wan Chai.

The 31-year-old, who has been in custody since November 1, 2014, appeared in court yesterday in a dark blue shirt and looked much slimmer.

He pleaded not guilty to two counts of murder.

His attempt to plead guilty to the lesser charge of manslaughter on the grounds of diminished responsibility was rejected by the prosecutor.

He could face life imprisonment if convicted. Jutting pleaded guilty to a third charge of preventing the lawful burial of Ningsih's body.

"Much of what the jury will see or hear is very disturbing indeed," Deputy High Court Judge Michael Stuart- Moore warned ahead of the selection of the jury of five men and four women yesterday.

In his opening statement, prosecutor John Reading said that Sumarticame to Hong Kong two years ago on a visitor's visa and she went home with Jutting on October 25, 2014, after she was offered "a large amount of money."

Over the next three days, Jutting subjected Sumartito "increasingly cruel acts of violence using his belt, sex toys, a pair of pliers and his fists."

Reading said Sumartiwas originally reluctant to go with Jutting as he "had been rough with her" when he paid her for sex in a Wan Chai hotel on a previous occasion, during which Sumartioffered to refund half of the money and left early.

"After torturing her for three days, he took her into the bathroom, had her kneel in front of the toilet bowl with her hands tied behind her back, made her lick the toilet bowl and then he cut her throat with a serrated-edged knife," Reading said.

The victim did not immediately die and Jutting then dragged her into the shower and continued to saw through her neck.

I definitely could not have done that without cocaine, Reading quoted Jutting as saying in one of the videos he filmed after the killing.

He is said to have video-recorded himself on his iPhone talking about the killing and, having raped the victim, how he enjoyed dominating and killing her.

He also talked about having watched pornographic videos, including those depicting the use of extreme violence on others.

Sumartis body could be seen on the floor of the shower in some shots.

Jutting at some stage wrapped the body and put it in a suitcase, which he later left on the balcony.

On October 31, 2014, Jutting took home the second victim, Seneng, late in the evening, the court heard.

Seneng was officially a domestic helper but she was working at a bar when Jutting offered her money for sex.

The two undressed when they entered the flat and Seneng started to shout when she saw a gag made from a length of rope and a condom on the sofa.

He slit Senengs throat with a knife he hid under the cushion as she continued to struggle, the prosecution said.

He made more video recordings, with one showing Senengs body.

On the morning of November 1, he called the police as he was apparently hallucinating, thinking that the police were coming to get him.

A recording of Jutting calling the police was played in court yesterday.

The Briton told the male officer who picked up the call that there were many officers outside his home.

But the officer he was talking to could not catch what he said and the call was then transferred to a higher-ranking female officer. The hearing continues today.

Outside court, members of an Indonesian migrant workers organization staged a protest demanding a speedy and fair trial and compensation for the victims families.

The trial is expected to last two to three weeks.

Search Archive

Advanced Search
June 2021

Today's Standard