Great White North awaits

Overseas Property | 22 Apr 2021

Landing a job abroad is perhaps one of the biggest obstacles to moving to a new place and starting life there. So instead, have you ever thought about returning to school as a pathway to immigration?

Canada is one of the places that has made immigration easier for those studying there and staying in the country to work.

After your studies, you may stay in the country under the Post-Graduation Work Permit Program to gain Canadian work experience, which will lay the groundwork for you to proceed further via several pathways.

The most common route is the Canada Experience Class, which uses the Express Entry system to pick candidates. On top of one year of working experience, you must also meet the required language levels needed for your job to qualify for the Express Entry pool.

Eligible candidates may make a formal expression of interest to settle in Canada by creating an online Express Entry profile, and those accepted to the pool will be given a score and ranked under the Comprehensive Ranking System.

The highest-ranking candidates are then invited to apply for permanent residence, but the tricky issue here is that the cut-off score for each round is different and sometimes varies widely.

For example, on March 31, 284 invitations were issued and the minimum qualifying score was 778, whereas in the next draw a day later on April 1, 5,000 invitations were sent and the minimum score required was 432.

So when it comes to tallying your points for the CRS, the more the merrier. If you have a Canadian degree or diploma, that will give you points and boost your ranking. Of course, many other things, such as your language skills, can also move you up on the CRS ladder.

Search Archive

Advanced Search
May 2021

Today's Standard