Read More
HK movie producer Raymond Wong Pak-ming convicted of insider dealing
22-05-2026 17:10 HKT
Swire Properties wins compulsory auction for $2.02b Quarry Bay property
22-05-2026 20:36 HKT
Hong Kong has logged a total of 184,390 rapid antigen test (RAT) positive cases through an online self-reporting platform from February 26 to March 5, according to Chief Executive Carrie Lam Cheng Yuet-ngor.
The government has earlier launched an online self-reporting platform for those who test positive using a RAT kit. People isolated at home who tested positive can report their results via the online platform.
Speaking on a daily media briefing, the Chief Executive said although the city’s daily caseload peaked on March 3, the coronavirus situation in recent days has reached a plateau.
“Since March 11, we have been at a plateau and haven’t seen any further drop. Therefore, we have to be very careful and not let down our guard,” she said.
Centre for Health Protection controller Edwin Tsui Lok-kin said the new website for self-reporting RAT results helped authorities track data better.
Tsui said positive test results peaked on March 2 and 3, at between 76,000 and 77,000 cases per day.
Positive cases uncovered via rapid tests, including those reported through the online system, are now hovering around 30,000 each day for the past week.
Tsui said health authorities randomly selected some self-reported cases for PCR tests to confirm their results, in which 30 of them returned negative results via the tests, adding that authorities would investigate why.
Meanwhile, with authorities ramping up overnight lockdown operations for Covid testing, Lam said those who were diagnosed with the infection will not be required to get tested anymore.
Separately, Lam defended the decision of closing local beaches from the public starting Thursday, saying the move was only to “strengthen the management” of government facilities.
She said the latest measure was necessary as some residents had been seen gathering there despite the beaches being closed with no lifeguards on duty.
Lam noted that the closing of beaches is something that has been done before during the pandemic.
“We have already adopted some of the toughest social-distancing measures in this wave and have no plans to tighten them further,” Lam said, adding now is also not the time for relaxation nor being complacent.
