Read More
HK movie producer Raymond Wong Pak-ming convicted of insider dealing
22-05-2026 17:10 HKT
Swire Properties wins compulsory auction for $2.02b Quarry Bay property
22-05-2026 20:36 HKT
Police on Saturday refused permission for the July 1 pro-democracy march organized by the Civil Human Rights Front, citing risks to public health and potential violence.
The group vowed to lodge an appeal to the police's ban of its annual march from Victoria Park in Causeway Bay to the government headquarters in Admiralty.
The force said in a letter to the group that the city's current social-distancing measures against the coronavirus prohibits outdoor gatherings of over 50 people, and that such a demonstration could risk virus spreading .
It also said there were violent incidents in previous demonstrations organized by the group and believed some protesters would stray away from the original path given the social atmosphere is still dreary.
Last year, an estimated 550,000 people joined the annual July 1 march amid the social unrest against the now-withdrawn extradition bill.
While it began peacefully, some protesters stormed into the Legislative Council complex that evening.
