The son-in-law of Hong Kong's last governor Chris Patten has been jailed for five years on Saturday for acting as a getaway driver in a terrifying shooting at an Indian restaurant in west London.
Elton Charles, 51, is married to Patten's daughter Laura and was jailed alongside co-conspirators Nicholas Grant, 46, and Lee Morgan, 42.
The three men were convicted of conspiracy to possess a firearm with intent to cause fear of violence at Kingston Crown Court and were each jailed for five years.
Charles was recruited by his half-brother Nathaniel St Aimie, 48, as part of a plot to terrorize bosses at the PBK restaurant in Greenford on September 6 last year.
The court showed CCTV footage of a hooded gunman getting out of the getaway van driven by Charles. The figure then headed towards the restaurant, opening fire at around 9.30 pm.
St Aimie was given six years and three months in prison after admitted the same charge.
Although no diners were injured, Judge Jonathan Davies was 'moved' after watching parents protect their children from the hail of bullets.
The trio were convicted last month following a six-week trial after the jury had deliberated for seven hours.
Members of the defendants' families in the public gallery gasped as the guilty verdicts were returned, and Patten's daughter Laura held her head in her hands and wept.
During the sentencing, the judge said, "You all played an important part in what happened and Mr St Aimie, I am satisfied, and you haven't denied it, you were the organizer of the shooting and played a leading role."
Directing his comments towards Charles, the judge said, "I reject [the claim that your involvement was] simply a last-minute decision."
He added that it was an offense with significant planning. "I'm sure your children do need you but the reality is your conduct means the court has no choice but to pass a custodial sentence."
(Dail Mail and Daily Express)
Elton Charles (L) Chris Patten (R) (File Photo)