State Department says Chengdu consulate suspended operationsWorld | 27 Jul 2020 11:59 am
The United States closed its consulate in the southwestern Chinese city of Chengdu today.
China ordered the mission closed late last week in retaliation for a U.S. order to shut down the Chinese Consulate in Houston in Texas, earlier the same week.
A statement from the State Department said that the Chengdu consulate suspended operations at 10 a.m.
"The consulate has stood at the center of our relations with the people in Western China, including Tibet, for 35 years,`` the statement said. "We are disappointed by the Chinese Communist Party's decision and will strive to continue our outreach to the people in this important region through our other posts in China.''
The U.S. has four other consulates in China and an embassy in Beijing.
The American flag was lowere at the Chengdu mission at 6:18 a.m., China's state broadcaster CCTV said on its social media account.
Police closed off a two- to three-block area around the consulate, cutting off virtually any view of the property including the flag. A few vehicles were allowed through after police checks, and others could be seen moving in the distance.
Moving trucks arrived at the U.S. consulate the previous day and left a few hours later. Late Sunday night, flatbed trailers entered the complex. One later emerged carrying a large shipping container and a crane.-AP