Four more infected in impoverished Rwanda

World | 25 Mar 2020 11:16 am

The Rwandan Health Ministry on Tuesday reported four more people are infected with the new coronavirus, bringing the total to 40 in less than two weeks since an outbreak in the country, Xinhua reports.

Of the four patients, two are travelers from Dubai, the United Arab Emirates, one from Brussels, and the other one had contact with a previously confirmed case, said the ministry in a statement.

Passengers were placed in isolation and tested for the virus, it said.

After effective treatment, the first group of patients in Rwanda could be discharged soon from hospital, Rwandan Health Minister Daniel Ngamije told Xinhua Tuesday in a telephone interview.

Towards the end of this week, tests will be carried out to ensure that they are virus free before being discharged, said the minister.

The Rwanda Bankers' Association on Tuesday called for temporary closure of some bank branches in Kigali. The landlocked country has banned unnecessary movements and visits, asking people to stay at home since March 21, with exemptions for essential services like banking.

The government has asked the public to use electronic payments and online banking services whenever possible.

Search Archive

Advanced Search
March 2020
S M T W T F S

Today's Standard



Yearly Magazine

Yearly Magazine